Help us to develop a new five-year All-Age Autism Strategy for Barnsley
Do you have lived experience of Autism?
Do you have an Autism Diagnosis?
Are you currently on or have been on an Autism pathway?
Are you a parent/ carer of someone with or awaiting an Autism Diagnosis?
Please help shape our new local strategy for Barnsley by sharing your experiences
We are currently working with our partners across Health and Care in Barnsley on the development of a new borough-wide all-age local Autism Strategy to cover the next five years.
We want to listen, learn and capture the views of local people who have lived experience of autism as well as their family members and carers from across Barnsley as well as from the professionals and organisations who provide support services for children, young people and adults with autism along with their families.
Our new local strategy is being developed to reflect the national all-age Autism Strategy and accompanying implementation plan/ policy guidance that was published in 2021.
In the national strategy for autistic children, young people and adults: 2021 to 2026 published 21/07/21, the following six key areas have been highlighted as those that would have a significant impact on people with autism's lives:
improving understanding and acceptance of autism within society
improving autistic children and young people’s access to education, and supporting positive transitions into adulthood
supporting more autistic people into employment
tackling health and care inequalities for autistic people
building the right support in the community and supporting people in inpatient care
improving support within the criminal and youth justice systems
Over the past few months, we have been working with a stakeholder group which includes young people and adults with lived experience of autism, parents and carers of children and young people with a diagnosis of autism and professionals from groups/organisations who provide support services for children, young people and adults with autism, along with their families to develop our collective involvement approach to capturing views, feedback and experiences from our wider communities to shape the development of our local strategy.
We will be holding several drop-in events and sessions during November and December 2023 across Barnsley for local people and organisations to be able to attend and share their views and experiences with us, as well as promoting our local survey which has been designed by the stakeholder group members.
We are also working with local organisations and services across the borough to link into existing groups and opportunities to gain views and experiences.
How you can get involved and share your experiences
There are several ways you can get involved and share your experiences with us during our initial involvement phase, which runs from 7 November until 19 December 2023.
- Fill in our online survey by clicking the link here. (The survey will be available from 7 November)
- Attend one of our larger community drop-in events during November and share your experiences with us.
- Come along to a local drop-in session and get help completing the feedback survey.
Community Drop-in Events
- Tuesday 7 November at Shaw Lane Sports Club, Shaw Lane, Barnsley, S70 6HZ. You can drop in and see us any time between 10:30 am - 2 pm
- Thursday 23 November at The Priory Centre, Pontefract Road, Lundwood, Barnsley, S71 5PN. You can drop in and see us any time between 10:30 am and 7:30 pm
Saturday 25 November at The Barnsley Civic, The Civic, Hanson Street, Barnsley, S70 2HZ. You can drop in and see us any time between 10:30 am - 2 pm
Community Drop-in Sessions
You can attend any of the following local community drop-in sessions that are being held throughout November and December between the times highlighted below and get help to fill in the online survey.
- Tuesday 7 November at Kendray & Worsborough Centre any time between 10 am - 2 pm
- Tuesday 21 November at Athersley South Family Centre any time between 10 am - 2 pm
- Friday 24 November at Mapplewell & Staincross Library any time between 11 am – 3 pm
- Tuesday 28 November at Wombwell IKIC Centre any time between 10 am – 2 pm
- Tuesday 5 December at Grimethorpe Acorn Centre any time between 10 am - 2 pm
- Monday 11 December at Penistone Library any time between 10 am – 2 pm
- Tuesday 19 December at The Dearne Family Centre any time between 10 am - 2 pm
For more information
If you have any queries or would like to access any of the information above in an alternative format, get in touch via the contact details below:
- Email us at email@example.com using the subject heading 'Barnsley Autism Strategy'
- Call us on 01226 433779 (9 am - 5 pm Monday to Friday)